Monday, November 8, 2010

Video Games I've Played More Than Once

Video games is something that I'm very passionate about in general; I spend a lot of time with them, and interact with the world differently because of what I've learned interacting with games. It's very hard to come up with a standard evaluative criteria which would enable me to rank what I think are the "best games of all time," but I can apply a more subjective but perhaps more telling attribute: which games I've played through (and probably beaten) more than once.

In the order that I think of them:
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Super Mario 64
-Super Mario World
-Sonic 3 and Knuckles
-Final Fantasy 6
-Final Fantasy 7
-Final Fantasy 9
-Final Fantasy 10
-Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Pokémon Blue Version
-Pokémon Silver Version
-Halo: Combat Evolved
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Portal
-Half-Life 2
-Ninja Gaiden Black
-Chrono Trigger
-Megaman X (too hard, actually, I play it through every few years but have never managed to beat it)

On the other sides of the die, there are books or movies that have the same effect, that I re-watch for love of their timeless attributes. I've also spent an inordinate amount of time with competitive and arena and MMO type games that don't really fit the criterion because they can't really be "beaten." There are also books, movies and games that I try over and over again to get into, but simply can't because they just don't appeal to me. And isn't the universe so wonderful that everything touches people on a different level?

Without a doubt, my memory is fuzzy, my funds are limited, and my reach is not expansive, but there exists a certain special quality about a game that draws users back in order to relive the first experience. There are a lot of awesome games out there that leave you shortly after you finish, and then there are games that stick with you for life. I thought I'd share some of mine with you.

4 comments: